[Starlingx-discuss] Starlingx Release 3 (stx.3.0) Timeline Proposal

Curtis serverascode at gmail.com
Thu May 23 11:22:01 UTC 2019

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 7:36 PM Khalil, Ghada <Ghada.Khalil at windriver.com>
wrote:

> Hello all,
> The proposed dates for Starlingx Release 3 (stx.3.0) are now available
> based on the openstack train dates.  The current proposal is to lag train
> by 6wks for the earlier milestones (MS-1, MS-2, MS-3) and 7wks for the
> later ones (RC1 & Release) . Based on the recommendation during the Denver
> PTG, we will move to time-based releases.
>
> The dates are available at:
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZFR-9-riwhIwiBYBmWmi1qOVyHtgJ8Xk_FaF2jp5rY0/edit#gid=0
>
>                 train           stx.3.0 (tentative)
> Milestone-1     6/5/2019        7/17/2019
> Milestone-2     7/24/2019       9/4/2019
> Milestone-3     9/11/2019       10/16/2019
> Feature Test                    10/16/2019
> Regression Test                 11/6/2019
> RC1             9/25/2019       11/13/2019
> Final Regression                        11/27/2019
> Release         10/16/2019      12/4/2019
>

> The proposed dates will result in overlap between stx.2.0 and stx.3.0.
> - Concerns w/ stx.3.0 features merging in master while stx.2.0 is nearing
> release (RC branch creation for stx.2.0 is Aug 5)
> - Stability is a main concern
>        - How do we ensure stability is not impacted?
>        - Promote/Foster a culture of stability on mainline. Communicate to
> the community.
>        - More reliance on automation to catch issues earlier.

       - Less focus on feature content and more focus on stability /
> project adoption
> - End-user visible impact (due to new features) is another concern
>

> - Resourcing Contention is another concern
>        - for both development and test, but especially for test
> - Mitigation Options:
>        - Ask developers to work on feature branches for stx.3.0; only
> allow benign feature code to merge before stx.2.0 RC1
>        - Implement "limited" merge windows x weeks prior to stx.2.0 RC1
> (w/ clear guidance to the cores on what code to merge during those periods)
>        - Create the stx.2.0 RC branch earlier than currently planned. Cost
> of cherry-picks need to be discussed/quantified.

I have somewhat of an outsiders perspective on StarlingX, I work at a
smaller company, and don't have knowledge of the history of the project, so
things I say come from that somewhat unique perspective, but what if we
released a 2.0 RC very soon, like well before Aug 5. If I could pick any
mitigation, I'd personally aim for that. But I don't have as much
visibility into all the ongoing work as many others do.

Thanks,
Curtis

> Please take some time to review the above and provide your feedback.
> Once we receive some feedback, we'll work with the community on next steps
> to define content and develop plans.
>
> Regards,
> Ghada (on behalf of the stx release team)

Blog: serverascode.com