[Starlingx-discuss] [docs][meetings] docs team meeting minutes 2019-10-16

Tullis, Michael L michael.l.tullis at intel.com
Wed Oct 16 20:52:22 UTC 2019

Join us if you have interest in StarlingX docs! We meet Wednesdays, and call logistics are here: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Starlingx/Meetings. Our etherpad is here: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/stx-documentation.

-- Mike

Current agenda and notes

2019-10-16

  *   All -- reviews in progress and recent merges --
?  See summary at https://review.opendev.org/#/q/project:starlingx/docs.
?  Recent merges. Great job team!
*        https://review.opendev.org/#/c/687687/ -- Add notice that R1 install docs may no longer work due to significant changes in StarlingX infrastructure -- MERGED
*        https://review.opendev.org/#/c/687948/ -- Fix commands and add missing information -- MERGED--
*        https://review.opendev.org/#/c/687755/ -- Consolidate build guides into single guide -- MERGED
*        https://review.opendev.org/#/c/687689/ -- Update Ansible bootstrap path -- MERGED
?  We have 1 open:
*        https://review.opendev.org/#/c/684820/ -- Introduction editorial updates -- This is Mary's sandbox for Gerrit familiarity and is set to workflow -1 on purpose. No urgency.

  *   Abraham and all -- bug status -- https://bugs.launchpad.net/starlingx/+bugs?field.tag=stx.docs
?  Only one bug is open, and it's low-priority! We've closed several higher priority bugs recently.
?  https://bugs.launchpad.net/starlingx/+bug/1835207 -- Abraham will ask for help in the community meeting to get this closed.

  *   Kris -- structure and plans for new config guide --
?  See this for background -- https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LsRk_h8-35QjtmDqjhaY_C1fDtC71S673bq1wVSKtC0
?  Kris followed up with Greg on some open questions as documented in the above link. Mike and Kris updated stories accordingly.

  *   Bruce -- StarlingX-in-a-box -- We have two vectors on this --
?  Erich's contribution -- https://drive.google.com/file/d/19127DWvfrSvpd9QNjHlbNX2-OEbruxKx
?  Calsoft's contribution -- http://lists.starlingx.io/pipermail/starlingx-discuss/2019-September/006316.html  -- We believe this will go into our StarlingX-in-a-box topic as captured in https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2006622. Bruce has volunteered to help Sai with the contribution. Cindy recently confirmed that this does apply to StarlingX-in-a-box -- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vzrx7G-G8yCYi3HgOh0FNJvenoisP2qd.
?  Kris will get a 30-minute working meeting with Bruce to kick off next steps. Mike will send email with original attachment.

  *   Abraham -- help from the Q/A team --
?  Distributed Cloud --
*        https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2005181
*        Nice progress! See latest status -- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lpZKEKGbGx-J8EE_mVwPF-pSw2aoey0Y
*        Expect a Gerrit review maybe 10/23.
?  GPU Kubernetes Plugin
?  TSN -- subtask 36405 in https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2006289
?  Redfish
?  Infrastructure and cluster
?  Flock documentation
*        Tied to multi-OS -- this will go into component sections such as https://docs.starlingx.io/ha/index.html
*        See a recent Gerrit review -- https://4dfdbb36ff3ed7154f58-be76b9eef9539745164f256be896c2d6.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/687120/1/check/openstack-tox-docs/546f003/docs/
*        Kris -- contributor guide --

  *   Would it be appropriate to incorporate parts of this "cheat sheet" into our contributor guide? -- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a5XGPr5oTV42GPk8FWsFYWAVgltEQ3VR

  *   The guide also needs updates to reflect our current doc schema. Probably best to make it generic so we don't have to update again.
*        Bruce -- Feedback from the Beijing meetup  (Actual customer feedback & requirements!!!)

  *   Improvements requested:
?  Improve Documentation --
*        What version/date were they using?
*        More specific feedback?
?  UX/DX  improvements
*        E.g Local network mirrors needed for e.g. docker registries
*        "The vitality of open source organizations is less cultivated in the superb technology than in the friendliness to beginners." Here is an example of impediments to beginners: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/685650/
?  Security
?  Footprint reduction
?  CNCF certification
?  Support of legacy hosts and PC/Atom nodes
?  Multiple name spaces for "system application apply"
?  Multiple layers of logging, monitoring and metering (for different HW resources)

  *   Improvements not requested:
?  MultiOS

  *   Most of these improvements are in progress. UX/DX improvements to make the project more accessible to beginners are very challenging. As we work through bringing up OpenSUSE we will find many opportunities to improve things. UX / DX improvements are a key priority for the project.

Action required (AR) summary

Completed ARs are archived here: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/stx-documentation-files-003

*        <date task was assigned> -- <owner> -- <description + comments>
*        2019-05-15 -- Abraham -- Review these code and terminology changes impacting user docs -- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sCB-lrWhDIJLNAGWBt7wJ1_JxY21m71p -- and report back on specific actions required.
*        2019-10-02 -- Abraham -- Ask for help in the community meeting to get https://bugs.launchpad.net/starlingx/+bug/1835207 closed.
*        2019-10-02 -- Kris and Mary -- Update the contributor guide at https://docs.starlingx.io/contributor/doc_contribute_guide.html to reflect our current doc schema and incorporate elements of the "cheat sheet."