[Starlingx-discuss] MultiOS: why not to place our Spec files in git directly

Dominig ar Foll (Intel Open Source) dominig.arfoll at fridu.net
Wed Sep 4 14:05:51 UTC 2019

On 04/09/2019 15:37, Saul Wold wrote:

> On 9/4/19 2:36 AM, Dominig ar Foll (Intel Open Source) wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> as OBS allows to read the spec files from the git repo, would it not be
>> a great idea to extract it from there directly ?
>>
> So if I am understanding what your suggesting, we just maintain an
> _service file in OBS and the spec file then comes from the SCM bundle?
>
> What about the case that some package has patches?  Or other SourceX:
> directives in the spec file do those need to be listed also, it seems
> like that might be the case.
Saul,

as we get the source file from the scm, any patches should be done in
the scm directly, it's far easier to maintain changes in git than on
individual patches files.
the git command in OBS allows to point toward a given branch if needed.
We can also download the patch file from the scm with the same tool as
for the spec file. Would a patch file be the right solution to a given
difference management.

In short my proposal is to manage only the _service file in OBS and all
the rest via git, in order to apply the same review process to all the
the project.
--

Dominig ar Foll
Senior Software Architect