[Starlingx-discuss] ERROR: unknown environment with tox -e when bulding doc locally

Dominig ar Foll (Intel Open Source) dominig.arfoll at fridu.net
Thu Sep 12 20:29:04 UTC 2019

Sorry

but if we want to motivate people to write more documentation we need to
find a simpler way.
To write docs we need to be able to at least check the display of a page
before committing in a simple way.

If the environment is complex to reproduce and to debug, then we should
have, at least, somewhere a web page creation service.
How reviewer will check that was is proposed is OK and looks fine ?

It's a serious issue that needs to be addressed with urgency.

Dominig

On 12/09/2019 21:48, Ildiko Vancsa wrote:

>> On 2019. Sep 12., at 21:36, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 2019-09-12 20:50:35 +0200 (+0200), Dominig ar Foll (Intel Open Source) wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Is there any simpler way to check how a page would look before
>>> commiting it in  Gerrrit ?
>> [...]
>>
>> "Simpler" is a relative term. Since tox is being used here to
>> abstract away building a dedicated Python virtual environment,
>> installing documentation build dependencies and running Sphinx
>> commands to convert reStructuredText markup into HTML content, you
>> would basically need to perform the same steps yourself instead
>> (make sure your current working directory is the top-level directory
>> of the Git repository's worktree):
>>
>>    virtualenv -p python3 mydocs
>>
>>    mydocs/bin/pip install -c https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/requirements/plain/upper-constraints.txt -r doc/requirements.txt
>>
>>    mydocs/bin/sphinx-build -a -E -W -d doc/build/doctrees -b html doc/source doc/build/html
>>
>> The commands above were inferred from the tox.ini file in that
>> project. Resulting content should appear in the doc/build/html
>> directory. Of course, I fully expect you'll see virtualenv break
>> there the same way it does when tox tries to call it, but it's worth
>> a try. I'm unable to reproduce the error on my systems so it's tough
>> to be certain.
> […]
>
> I usually run the tests in a virtual machine to avoid having anything going wrong with my laptop. I can confirm that on a fresh Ubuntu 16.04 after installing tox and cloning the StarlingX docs repo the ‘tox -e docs’ command works like a charm.
>
> Thanks,
> Ildikó

Dominig ar Foll
Senior Software Architect