[Starlingx-discuss] [multi os] Need of systemd for adoption of flock services in other os (regression worries)

Dominig ar Foll (Intel Open Source) dominig.arfoll at fridu.net
Mon Sep 16 14:45:34 UTC 2019

Hello,

One of the comment/worry that have seen on the instant message was about
the potential  regression risk related to the move to systemD.
I would like to share the exchange as it relevant for all the community
concerned by that topic.

Question:
I am afraid that changing this will impact flocks functionality or big
regression testing is required.

Response:
Adding security and multiOS support will require some retest for sure.
But if we add a plugin we could keep different DBs for different OSes.
One calling for init.d scripts for legacy support while for multiOS a
new DB would call for systemD.
With that model, we would minimise risk, as only minimalistic regression
test would be required until the DB content is changed for a given OS.

--
Dominig ar Foll
Senior Software Architect