[Starlingx-discuss] Call for contributors: CentOS 8.0 upgrade for StarlingX 4.0

Yong Hu yong.hu at intel.com
Fri Sep 27 01:07:26 UTC 2019

Hi community members,

Early this week, we saw RedHat has started releasing CentOS 8.0, which
is one of big commitments we made to StarlingX 4.0.

As this upgrade from 7.6 to 8.0 is a non-trivial update, we might have
to address several aspects, such as:
   1). SRPM/RPM impacts to current build system.
   2). StarlingX patches on top of CentOS packages.
   3). Kernel (3.10.x to 4.18.x) and driver, standard and RT version
   4). Security fixes cumulatively merged
   5). Python 3.x support and
   6). Impacts to flocks and other services directly running on top of
CentOS.
   7). more others?

Here we would like to *call for contributors* to sign up this task and
kick off tech analysis and engineering efforts ASAP (better before TSC
officially approving this upgrade for Stx.4.0).

On the other hand, if you are interested in this important mission but
with a bit concerns, NO worries at all. Anytime you reach out to myself
and Shuicheng (who is quite skillful and experienced in this area after
running through 2 rounds of CentOS upgrade successfully in the past).
As a community, we are always around and supporting you.

Thanks in advance!
Yong