[Starlingx-discuss] bnx2x driver panic. Is source same as CentOS 7?

Pratik M. pvmpublic at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 10:16:00 UTC 2020

On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 8:56 PM Saul Wold <sgw at linux.intel.com> wrote:
[...]
> Since you did not say if you are using the StarlingX 3.0 or master ISO,
> I wil try to answer for both!

Thank you for the help. I was using R3.0.

> Can you try installing from the master ISO to see if the 4.18 kernel
> addresses these panics?

Sure, I will try and update.

> Does this only happen on the machine when installed via PXE?  Does it
> happen if you install the ISO directly?  This could be related to the
> initrd setup possibly then.

I see this on C1 (controller-1) when it is booting from C0. If I try a
direct iso install on the same server, as C0, I do not see it.
Meanwhile, I found this:
https://gist.github.com/michalskalski/c4bde2b14d1247daa1f8f8c333d00de3,
where a BIOS workaround was suggested
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c04565693

When I applied that, the problem disappeared. And I was able to
proceed w/ the install. Absurd thing is that I have installed CentOS
6/7 and Ubuntu on this host w/ intel_iommu=on. Maybe something to do
w/ PXE boot or possibly their installer possibly not enabling
intel_iommu=on. Confused.

> Just to confirm, you have installed a generic CentOS7 on this hardware
> and it works, but not via PXE boot, can you try to install the generic
> CentOS7 via PXE boot, this might rule out some of the StarlingX
> configuration changes.

Difficult, since my PXE setup is on the network that I use for OAM,
but for C1 needs to PXE boot from MGMT. I will try to see if I am able
to tweak the C0 PXE settings to serve CentOS7.

> > I see a lot of these: bnx2x: [bnx2x_write_dmae:549(eno51)]DMAE
> > returned failure -1
> >
> In what setup are you seeing these message?  StarlingX and Generic
> CentOS7 or just StarlingX?

Only during the StarlingX C1 install, which then aborts. Hit this 3
times before the BIOS workaround.

Thanks
Pratik