[Starlingx-discuss] [docs] [meeting] Docs team notes 2020-08-19

Camp, MaryX maryx.camp at intel.com
Thu Aug 20 01:34:37 UTC 2020

Hello all,
Here are this week's docs team meeting minutes (short form). Details in [2].
Join us if you have interest in StarlingX docs! We meet on Wednesdays 12:30 PST.

  [1]   Call logistics: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Starlingx/Meetings
  [2]   Tracking Etherpad: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/stx-documentation

thanks,
Mary Camp
==========
2020-08-19

All -- reviews merged since last meeting:  1
All -- bug status -- 10 total
Reviews in progress:
Several reviews related to Rook are ready to review per discuss list message: http://lists.starlingx.io/pipermail/starlingx-discuss/2020-August/009452.html
   Editorial updates on simplex & duplex Ceph Cluster Migration guide  https://review.opendev.org/#/c/745623/
   Deployment guide for rook aio-duplex deployment  https://review.opendev.org/#/c/742573/
   Deployment guide for rook aio-sx deployment  https://review.opendev.org/#/c/742102/
   Deployment guide for rook deployment  https://review.opendev.org/#/c/724623/
   Add backup and restore guide for rook provisioned system  https://review.opendev.org/#/c/739900/

All -- Opens
Can the test team be looped in to test some of our complicated procedures (ie install/deployment guides)? Greg and Mary will attend the Test meeting and ask them about it. [Next meeting 1Sept @ 8 am PDT]

How are doc inputs received from the development team / community? launchpad, email on discuss, storyboard item, and email. Preference is to submit a review following contributor guidelines or launchpad.

Upstreaming WR docs
   Team has been waiting for the script to do the dita -> rst conversion, it will be available for their testing starting tomorrow. They will select first ~6 reviews tomorrow.
   Planning to select a representative group of docs with tables, diagrams to see how the conversion scripts play out.
   We discussed which topics would be best to start with. Topics not already in the STX guides will test the conversion without getting into the reorganization effort. Possibly security, system config and mgmt, node config & mgmt.
   Recommend making a local clone of the repository and build the docs on your own machine. Then submit the gerrit reviews to see how that process works. Use DONT MERGE or WIP in commit message to identify the reviews.

Version/tagging of STX docs
   Ildiko talked to Doug who was involved when STX docs were first set up. It's been a while... he suggested that we start by deciding what the docs URL should look like, for example, what will be the "release" identifier (name, number, something else?). That will help us decide how to handle the repository. Probably won't need all the structure that OpenStack manuals uses (because they pull from so many different projects). Dig into some of the OS templates, figure out where the release info gets pulled into the scripts. Use the stable branches and dig into how the OpenStack docs are working.
   Jimmy and Jeremy may be helpful with the URL decision also.
   Next steps:  URL structure - decide it. Look at build jobs for the OS jobs.