[Starlingx-discuss] Community (& TSC) Call (August 26, 2020)

Zvonar, Bill Bill.Zvonar at windriver.com
Wed Aug 26 17:32:50 UTC 2020

>From today's call:

* Standing Topics

      * Sanity

            * master sanity reports are Green
            * there was a build issue when somebody updated the build command to take an optional proxy argument
                  * tested ok with this argument, but failed without & since CENGN builds without, the container build failed
                  * so the learning is if changing the build command, be sure to test with and without optional arguments

      * Gerrit Reviews in Need of Attention

            * rook ceph: https://review.opendev.org/#/q/status:open+branch:master+topic:%22ceph+containerization%22

* Topics for this Week

      * PTG reminder (ildikov)

            * https://www.openstack.org/ptg/
            * https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/stx-ptg-planning-october-2020
            * it's coming u, Sep 10th is the sign-up deadline, the PTG will be the week of Oct 26th
            * we need to start planning the typical 9-10 hours as the last time - Mon/Tue late EST, Thu early EST + 1 joint session
            * AR: Ildiko will send out a poll to get a feel for which time blocks are preferred by folks
            * we have time to sort out the list of topics that we'll discuss
            * Ildiko also reminded us that the forum submissions will be due soon

      * stx.3.0 cherry-picks pending

            * http://lists.starlingx.io/pipermail/starlingx-discuss/2020-August/009455.html
            * still at 5 LPs pending cherry-pick or rationale why it's not required

      * stx.4.0 Release Retrospective

            * http://lists.starlingx.io/pipermail/starlingx-discuss/2020-August/009433.html

                  * Docs
                        * per Mary, it generally went well - some chasing, but developers were responsive

                  * Build
                        * some issues around build layering introduction
                        * ideally we'd have a CENGN replica environment and/or the ability for a developer to instantiate their own CENGN-like environment
                        * there are some loose ends to tie up related to build layering, Scott hopes to do these in the stx.5.0 timeframe
                        * some questions around whether build changes would be required for Multi-OS - need to bottom out where Multi-OS is at & what build changes will be required; AR: Scott will poke into this at the Multi-OS meeting

                  * Python 3
                        * build team has been having to jump through hoops to accomodate the fact that we're in a state of supporting Python 2 and Python 3
                        * need to get everything on to Python 3, which is at risk since this feature is not staffed currently

                  * Test
                        * AR: Nic & Yang to provide some input from the test perspective
                        * Ildiko asked if we have automation enhancements planned for stx.5.0 that would help reduce the interval for testing things, like, say, the OpenStack rebase

                  * OpenStack
                        * AR: Yong to say what the plan is - how soon can they start & do we feel like the lessons learned from stx.4.0/Ussuri will help us land Victoria more comfortably

* ARs from Previous Meetings

      * Aug 19:
            * Build team to look into the option of manually pulling down the images periodically within a 6 month period
            * Scott investigating - pending this, we'll know whether we think we'll have to go with the paid option

* Open Requests for Help
      * didn't get to this this week

* Build Matters (if required)
      * nothing this week