[Starlingx-discuss] [build-report] master STX_build_layer_containers_master_master - Build # 90 - Still Failing!

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Dec 9 14:27:35 UTC 2020

On 2020-12-09 04:07:21 +0000 (+0000), Kalvala, Haridhar wrote:
> Even I am seeing this error since last two days. It was building
> fine(same code/repo) prior to 7th Dec. Anything changed in
> upstream open stack reference ?
[...]

Not in upstream OpenStack specifically, but across the Python
packaging ecosystem as a whole. Pip 20.3.0, released on November 30,
turned on a new and much more thorough dependency resolver. Earlier
versions of pip did not try particularly hard to make sure the
dependencies claimed by packages were all satisfied. Virtualenv
20.2.2, released December 7, increased the version of pip it's
vendoring to a version which uses the new solver as well. These
changes mean that latent version conflicts are now being correctly
identified as bugs, and so your builds will do a far better job of
confirming the declared versions of dependencies are actually used
if possible (and generate an error if not).

The error in the bug you linked looks like it's probably a version
conflict between what's in the constraints file you're applying and
what horizon says it wants to satisfy its django requirement.
Earlier releases of pip included in earlier releases of virtualenv
may have not been capable of noticing this latent conflict, so if
loci relies on virtualenv (I don't know much about it to be honest),
then starting to see this bug exposed coincident with the release of
virtualenv 20.2.2 would make sense.

Projects in OpenStack are currently working to solve these sorts of
emergent problems in their own builds as well, though for the most
part keeping the global upper constraints list in sync with the
corresponding project branches has shielded them from major issues
and this is mainly cropping up in places where projects are
supplying their own bespoke constraints lists which aren't built
from a guaranteed consistent set. I don't know what the state of the
source code and constraints lists being used in your builds is, so
it's hard for me to speculate. If it's just asking loci to generate
images from upstream stable/ussuri branches in combination with the
upstream stable/ussuri upper-constraints.txt file, then perhaps this
is a stable branch bug which needs to get solved in loci or even
deeper in the stack.
--
Jeremy Stanley