[Starlingx-discuss] Multi OS Meeting Notes & Initial Centos-8 Alternatives

Saul Wold Saul.Wold at windriver.com
Tue Dec 22 17:05:31 UTC 2020

StarlingX Community:

As has been announced Long Term Support for CentOS-8 will be going away
in December of 2021 (1 year away). CentOS-Stream will be the
"replacement", but has some challenges due to the update policy and
possible patching of CVEs in packages.

Listed below are additional options, please provide feedback so we can
start discussing options here and during the next set of calls.

I would like to hear if there are ideas I am missing or other proposals.

Thanks
   Sau!

MultiOS Team Meeting - 12/22/2020
- meta-starlingx
   - No update at this point.
  - Starting the CentOS-8 Alternatives discussion
    - CentOS-8 is not getting long term support (stops in Dec 2021)
    - CentOS-7 Short - medium term (CVEs 2024)
      - Question about support for new hardware?
  - RHEL Alternatives
    - Cloudlinux / RockyLinux
    - CentOS-Stream may not be stable enought
      - What's the CVE support commitment for older packages
  - Debian / Ubuntu
    - Technical challenges with rpm->deb packaging
    - Ubuntu has known branding / licenses issues
  - OpenEmbedded / Yocto Project meta-startlingx
    - Work in progress already using StarlingX-3.0
  - SuSE / OpenSuse
    - RPM based
  - Make StarlingX platform agnostic
    - Currently there is a custom kernel and userspace
    - Need to get rid of custom userspace.
  - Oracle Linux

--
Sau!