[Starlingx-discuss] Questions related to Startlingx & Openstack

Boriss N bnovickovs at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 13:58:11 UTC 2020

Hello,

First of all, I would like to say thank you very much for your effort in
this amazing project, and congratulations for being a top-level project at
Openstack Foundation.

I have been testing StarlingX for 5 days now and wanted to ask / specify
some questions of mine related to Starlingx in general and Openstack
deployment on it in particular.

StarlingX:
1. I know that the 4th release is upcoming in July. Also, from what I've
heard in StarlingX irc channel, you can't upgrade from version 3 to version
4. Thus, I am wondering if I deploy the 4th version, would I be able to
upgrade it in the future with up-to-date releases?
2. I really enjoy StarlingX management UI. However, I can see that it's not
fully-functional yet. I am wondering, if Host Inventory will be upgraded so
the host can be added via UI? Is Software Management can be used for
patching anything within infrastructure and StarlingX related?
3. Since Kubernetes is using docker, and docker is highly dependent on
Linux kernel; and as far as I know, it is the best practice to use newer
versions of kernel with docker, do you have any plans of upgrading kernel
version til 5.x version?

Openstack:
1. I've been working a lot with Mirantis MOSK (Openstack on Kubernetes)
https://docs.mirantis.com/mosk/beta/index.html &
https://github.com/Mirantis/release-openstack-k8s ; which uses operator's
mechanism for both openstack and ceph. Their package is very nice, still in
beta though, but it is consuming a lot more resources compared to Starlingx
package. However, mosk provides designate/octavia/cells2 services by
default. Thus, I am wondering if the StarlingX Openstack package can offer
additional services deployment if required, like octavia or magnum?
2. In documentation it is specified that having an additional disk for
Openstack nova-local ephemeral images is a good practice. However, I could
not figure out how to use a separate disk for that since it's not specified
anywhere in the docs. Default procedure is to use a root disk (screenshot:
https://prnt.sc/t1fqwr). Therefore, how can I use a separate disk for
nova-local images and avoid having those errors in openstack when I am
creating an instance without volume (screenshot: https://prnt.sc/t1fs41).
3. I had a similar issue at the start
https://bugs.launchpad.net/starlingx/+bug/1867731 ; However, I am a bit
confused why you would use services externally, using external FQDN, while
you use horizon. When setup external dns for openstack services and open
horizon UI, it works very slowly. If you create volume in horizon and
create volume using internal CLI, its totally different speeds but it
should not be like that. I am wondering, if Horizon can be used while all
the services will be connected and used internally? That is what I can see
using MOSK, and Horizon UI of theirs is working very fast.
4. I think you are aware of it, but you can't upload images (glance sends
python errors) using horizon ui therefore, only internal CLI can be used
for that.
5. I would really appreciate if you can help me with troubleshooting this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/starlingx/+bug/1883911

Thank you very much and regards