[Starlingx-discuss] Builds remain broken

Scott Little scott.little at windriver.com
Mon May 4 21:22:06 UTC 2020

I've fixed several issues with lst files in the wake of the 4.18 kernel
submission to master.

    https://review.opendev.org/725379

    https://review.opendev.org/725371

So far this only addresses the build srmp phase of the distro layer build.

The builds remain broken on missing BuildRequires packages or their
dependencies.  e.g. the std kernel build is now asking for package
'perl-generators'.  It's not listed in the distro layer lst files,
although it is in the flock layer lst file, so a monolithic build might
pass, but a layered build will not.

I'm tired of trying to fix this thing on the master branch.  I think we
need to revert all the 4.18 kernel related commits (including the two
above).  i.e. go back to the old kernel and get some successful builds
working again.

The 4.18 kernel feature needs to be debugged in a developer
environment.  Particular attention needs to be put into the lst files,
and to getting those entries in the correct layer.

I would suggest starting two totally new container build environments.
The first for a distro layer build.  Once that is working, use the
second for a flock layer build (producing an iso).  Reminder to study
the Layered build description docs at
https://docs.starlingx.io/developer_resources/Layered_Build.html