[Starlingx-discuss] [docs] Need input/guidance on non-English guides

Saul Wold sgw at linux.intel.com
Thu May 14 18:23:31 UTC 2020

On 5/14/20 6:40 AM, Camp, MaryX wrote:
> Hi STX Community,
>
> A review was recently submitted to StarlingX docs for a guide written in
> Chinese.
>
> We are grateful for the contribution from the community, but it brings
> up several general issues.
>
> There are 4 core reviewers on STX docs, which helps us spread the workload.
>
> We haven’t discussed non-English guides and whether or not anyone can
> review them.
>
> The effort for managing synchronization and long-term maintenance of
> non-English guides is unknown.
>
> We have concerns about English and non-English guides diverging after
> multiple updates/iterations.
>
> How do other OpenStack / open source projects handle submissions for
> non-English guides?

This was discussed breifly at the Shanghai PTG meeting, there are some
tools in OpenStack for translation [0]. There was some tooling changes
that where being discussed at the time, so we did not take it much further.

The rely on the community to translate snippets via a server.

There was also discussion about translating our user visible messages,
but that's not part of this.  Maybe a future effort.

Sau!

[0] https://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/i18n.html