[Starlingx-discuss] TSC call nodes Sep 9 2020

Jones, Bruce E bruce.e.jones at intel.com
Wed Sep 9 14:33:05 UTC 2020

9/9/2020
*         The governance reviews to remove previous TSC members are ready to merge but need more reviews - TSC members please review!

  *   https://review.opendev.org/#/c/749519/ and https://review.opendev.org/#/c/745909/
*         Specs pending are not ready to merge
*         some key pieces for stx.5.0 are now unresourced (Python 3, CentOS 8, OpenStack Rebase to Victoria) - what is the impact to this release

  *   For Python 2->3 there is work to address issues in unit tests.  Pylint runs can help as well.  Certain Python components may not have Python3 versions.  An additional issue is that P3 behavior is not always the same as P2 behavior.

  *   The CentOS update may be a dependency ofthe P2->P3 work as CentOS 7 did not (does not?) have all of the required P3 components.  The two tasks are bound together.  Yong recommends moving to CentOS 8 user space first and then dealing with the remaining P2 issues.

  *   We believe P2 removal can be done in parallel with CentOS update to 8, which would help us de-risk it.

  *   The risk of not doing this is that upstream projects will increasingly not support Python2 making it impossible for us to update them.  CVEs fixed in newer upstream versions might not apply directly to our older code.

  *   We discussed the release schedule - is this work an anchor feature for the release?  If so, we could defer our release until this work completed.  The consensus of the community seems to be that this work is an "anchor feature" for StarlingX and we would not release without it.

  *   Do we have a sizing on this work?  Can the work be broken down and spread out across teams?  Neusoft's previous work showed 40 RPMs needing to be updated (plus the OpenStack and Ceph dependencies).

  *   Please continue this discussion in the Release team call this week.