[Starlingx-discuss] Release proposal

Jones, Bruce E bruce.e.jones at intel.com
Thu Sep 17 20:18:08 UTC 2020

Here is a proposal for one way we could move forward on release planning.  For those of you who didn't attend the release team call, there are two problems we need to solve:

  1.  Our policy has been to schedule releases aligned with upstream OpenStack, with a 6-8 week lag.  OpenStack Victoria is planned to release Oct 26 and we don't have a closed plan for the StarlingX 5.0 release, because...
  2.  We have content that has been agreed to be an Anchor Feature for 5.0 that does not yet have anyone available to do the work

In a sidebar conversation today with David and Dariush, Dariush suggested that we consider doing a 4.1 release on or near to the "Victoria + 6-8 weeks" schedule, and include the content that can be delivered in that timeframe.  The key feature would likely be Ceph/Rook, which is in the process of merging.

This allows us to get a release out the door on the current schedule, and defer the CentOS/Py2->3/OpenStack update work to later, giving us more time to figure out how to do the work.  We could include those updates in a 5.0 release, tentatively planned for Aug 2021.

Shuquan and Wang - do you agree with this direction?  There are details to be worked out, but the TSC needs to give the release team direction as to how to proceed, and this proposal makes sense to me.

        brucej