[Starlingx-discuss] Openstack UI request: Elektra as an alternative to Horizon

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Sep 18 17:07:36 UTC 2020

On 2020-09-18 11:33:46 +0100 (+0100), bnovickovs at weecodelab.com wrote:
> I think we are all aware that Horizon can be very slow. Thus, I am
> wondering if other UI can be added as a feature in next slx
> releases:
>
> https://github.com/sapcc/elektra

Looks neat! I didn't know that existed until now. I suppose if you
want to add any plugins you need to have some experience with
Ruby/Rails (as well as Javascript obviously), but that's probably
not a show-stopper. The license seems to be a mix of Apache and
MIT/Expat, so no concerns there that I can see.

There's been renewed discussion within OpenStack in recent months
about a potential Horizon rewrite/successor, so if you're interested
in this topic it may also be a good idea to get involved there with
requirements gathering and whatever else makes sense:

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2020-June/015551.html
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2020-August/016347.html
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2020-September/017299.html
--