[Starlingx-discuss] Multi OS Meeting Notes & Initial Centos-8 Alternatives

Saul Wold Saul.Wold at windriver.com
Tue Jan 5 15:25:38 UTC 2021

HI Bruce,

We are going to move this to the Distro Meeting tomorrow (Wednesday)
before the the community meeting.

See some additional thoughts below.

On 1/4/21 4:34 PM, Jones, Bruce E wrote:
> Saul, I think we have several options here:
>
> 1) Continue to support the current hybrid CentOS7/8 that we have today
I think this will work short term, but we will have to manage any CVEs
in the 4.18 kernel outside of what CentOS-7, which we know will be
EOL'ed in 2024, so we will need a solution in the next year.

> 2) Accelerate the Open Embedded effort

This would be a good thing to continue to consider this option, the
challenge here is the perception of the OE base OS.

> 3) Support some other RPM-based OS (e.g. SUSE)

RHEL/CentOS and Debian/Ubuntu are the major OSes that are used in Data
Centers, I think we need to consider some of that kind of information in
our considerations. While SUSE/OpenSUSE does have some market share in
Europe its much less than the others.

> Based on previous work in this space, I don't think making StarlingX OS independent is realistic, so I don't include it in the list.

Yeah, I had included it for completeness

> Both 2) and 3) above are a lot of work.
>
> What issues might we have with option 1)?

I think option 1 is good for the short term, but we need to consider the
longer term solution.

Sau!

>             brucej

Sau!