[Starlingx-discuss] Managing VFs in SRIOV resource list

Venkata Ramana Veldanda Venkata.Veldanda at radisys.com
Sat Mar 6 05:34:44 UTC 2021

Resending with a small correction.

From: Venkata Ramana Veldanda
Sent: Saturday, March 6, 2021 9:02 AM
To: starlingx-discuss at lists.starlingx.io
Subject: Managing VFs in SRIOV resource list

Hi -

We have a requirement to create two SR-IOV resource lists from same physical interface. This requirement is for a use case where we are running Intel Flexran software in a Kuberenetes pod.  The Intel Flexran software requires that a u-plane VLAN is assigned to a VF and passed  as u-plane VF to the software command line. Similarly, a c-plane VLAN needs to be assigned to a VF and passed as c-plane VF to the software command line. The SR-IOV daemon set supports this configuration:

{
      "resourceName": "intel_sriov_dpdk_cplane",
      "resourcePrefix": "radisys.com",
      "selectors": {
        "rootDevices": [
          "0000:18:00.3#4-7"
        ],
        "drivers": [
          "igb_uio"
        ]
      }
    },
    {
      "resourceName": "intel_sriov_dpdk_uplane",
      "resourcePrefix": "radisys.com",
      "selectors": {
        "rootDevices": [
          "0000:18:00.3#0-3"
        ],
        "drivers": [
          "igb_uio"
        ]
      }
}

In order to achieve this we followed the below steps in StarlingX

Create Datanetworks for C and U plane traffic

$ system datanetwork-add datanet-u -m 9216 vlan
$ system datanetwork-add datanet-c -m 9216 vlan
$ system host-if-modify -m 9216 -n sriovfh1 -c pci-sriov -N 8 --vf-driver=vfio controller-0 enp177s0f3
$ system interface-datanetwork-assign controller-0 sriovfh1 datanet-u
$ system interface-datanetwork-assign controller-0 sriovfh1 datanet-c

And we ended up in getting 2 resource lists (one for the C-PLANE and U-PLANE) but both of them containing the same list of VFs. Is there a way I can configure separate VFs for both the resource list that I shown in the above example?. In a standard Kubernetes deployment I would directly change the configmap & re-run the SRIOV daemon set. How can do this in StarlingX and does any System API support this?

$ cat /etc/pcidp/config.json

    {
      "resourceName": "pci_sriov_net_datanet_up",
      "selectors": {
        "vendors": [
          "8086"
        ],
        "drivers": [
          "vfio-pci"
        ],
        "devices": [
          "154c"
        ],
        "pfNames": [
          "enp177s0f3#0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7"
        ]
      }
    },

    {
      "resourceName": "pci_sriov_net_datanet_cp",
      "selectors": {
        "vendors": [
          "8086"
        ],