[Starlingx-discuss] TSC Review of proposed features for STX 7

Waines, Greg Greg.Waines at windriver.com
Fri Jan 14 11:35:45 UTC 2022

+ including mailing list

From: Waines, Greg
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2022 9:40 AM
To: Qi, Mingyuan <mingyuan.qi at intel.com>; Shuquan Huang <huang.shuquan at 99cloud.net>
Cc: Subramanian, Ramaswamy <Ramaswamy.Subramanian at windriver.com>; Ildiko Vancsa <ildiko at openinfra.dev>; Miller, Frank <Frank.Miller at windriver.com>; Church, Robert <Robert.Church at windriver.com>; Wang, Linda <Linda.Wang at windriver.com>; Asselstine, Mark <Mark.Asselstine at windriver.com>
Subject: RE: TSC Review of proposed features for STX 7

see in-lined below,
Greg.

From: Qi, Mingyuan <mingyuan.qi at intel.com<mailto:mingyuan.qi at intel.com>>
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2022 8:41 PM
To: Waines, Greg <Greg.Waines at windriver.com<mailto:Greg.Waines at windriver.com>>; Shuquan Huang <huang.shuquan at 99cloud.net<mailto:huang.shuquan at 99cloud.net>>
Cc: Subramanian, Ramaswamy <Ramaswamy.Subramanian at windriver.com<mailto:Ramaswamy.Subramanian at windriver.com>>; Ildiko Vancsa <ildiko at openinfra.dev<mailto:ildiko at openinfra.dev>>

[Please note: This e-mail is from an EXTERNAL e-mail address]
Hi Greg,

I have 2 questions:

  1.  Will the OS switch over to Debian happen in STX 7 ?
[Greg]  ( I copied frank, bob, linda, mark ... as they can probably answer this more accurately )

I believe the answer is ... to be determined.
I suspect we will at least have a 'tech preview' -type capability for debian in STX 7 ... with the main STX 7 deliverable still being centos -based.
And then switching fully to Debian (and discontinuing support for centos) by end of year ( STX 8 )

... but again, frank/bob/linda/mark, can probably provide a more accurate view.
  2.  What's the rough plan of armada replacement? Is flux the final decision? It looks like a big change.
[Greg]  (copied bob to provide details here)

Just a reminder that this is a 'preliminary' feature list ... we are still confirming that we can resource this particular feature or not.

My understanding from some preliminary investigations and prototyping done is that this not as large as it looks.
And all of the external CLIs and APIs of the existing system application framework can be maintained without change.

... but bob can probably provide some additional info.

Greg.

Mingyuan