[Starlingx-discuss] User feedback and questions

Bruno Drugowick Muniz Bruno.Muniz at encora.com
Wed Aug 9 15:24:18 UTC 2023

Hi again, folks.

Based on our conversation at the Community call today, we split the feedback regarding the network problems into two different things:

1) Get a GPU passthrough for NVIDIA to work on a virtual setup with VirtualBox. I don't have anything that I can add here, but would love to hear from others 🙂

2) Correctly set up networking for VirtualBox setup.

On this second topic, I want to provide some additional info. If you had at any point a working StarlingX setup with VirtualBox (either using the recently merged automated guide<https://docs.starlingx.io/deploy_install_guides/release/virtual/automated_install.html> or manually installing with the canonical guides) and you're now having problems accessing services running in the VM(s) it could be this: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/20337#comment:1.

In order to figure this out, I check if there's anything listening, on my host, in a port that I know is set up with a port forward in VirtualBox's NatNetwork (8080, for example):

netstat -tunlp | grep 8080

If I don't get anything back from that, I then try to restart the NatNetworks with (notice that NatNetwork is the name of the Nat Network that is assigned to one of the VM's network adapters):

vboxmanage natnetwork stop --netname NatNetwork
vboxmanage natnetwork start --netname NatNetwork

If after that the "netstat" is still not showing anything listening on ports that are forwarded between the host and the VM(s), then I also try to recreate the Nat Network from scratch (that worked already at least twice for me):

vboxmanage natnetwork remove --netname NatNetwork || true
vboxmanage natnetwork add --netname NatNetwork --dhcp off --network 10.10.10.0/24
vboxmanage natnetwork modify --netname NatNetwork --port-forward-4 "SSH:tcp:[]:3122:[10.10.10.3]:22"
vboxmanage natnetwork modify --netname NatNetwork --port-forward-4 "HTTP:tcp:[]:8080:[10.10.10.3]:8080"
... and so on.

If this is the case with your setup, I'm sorry. I know how frustrating this is and that's why I'm trying to follow up with the VirtualBox community (both on https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/20337 and https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/19651).

If not, please let us know and share more details here 🙂.

Regards,
--
Bruno.