[Starlingx-discuss] Vulnerability Management guidelines - improving visibility

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Jul 12 13:26:43 UTC 2023

On 2023-07-11 13:51:02 -0700 (-0700), Ildiko Vancsa wrote:
[...]
> Related to the above, I wanted to bring up the project’s
> Vulnerability Management guidelines. While there is some
> documentation available on the StarlingX wiki[1] currently, it is
> not the easiest to find. As this is a crucial area, I think it
> would be a good time to both make sure that the information there
> is up to date, as well as to make the documentation easier to
> find.
[...]

The main thing I worry about is users not being able to easily find
instructions for how the StarlingX maintainers want them to report
suspected security vulnerabilities. Some may guess, and may guess
poorly, others may give up looking and just disclose it in public.
This could result in a (preventable) scramble for everyone trying to
deal with the results of those choices.

Taking OpenStack as an example, in the footer of every page on
openstack.org and related sites there's a "Security" link which goes
to a dedicated documentation page about security topics (it uses a
different subdomain than the project or docs sites but that's more
of a historical implementation detail, if I were redoing it today
I'd want to merge all the sites into one). At the very top of that
security page is a section[*] which describes in detail how users
should safely notify the maintainers of suspected vulnerabilities.

Zuul has a similar page[**], linked from the main project
documentation TOC (linking to it from more places would probably be
a good idea as a future improvement).

Once you have a security page, it can also become a convenient place
to list your recent security advisories/patches, link to existing
vulnerability management process documents, and potentially talk
about security-specific features of StarlingX or security-relevant
efforts within the StarlingX community as a sort of rallying point.

[*] https://security.openstack.org/#how-to-report-security-issues-to-openstack
[**] https://zuul-ci.org/docs/zuul/latest/vulnerabilities.html
--
Jeremy Stanley