[Starlingx-discuss] Community Communication Channels - VOTE NEEDED

Scott Kamp scott.kamp at xunison.com
Wed Jul 12 23:19:48 UTC 2023

+1

________________________________
From: Ildiko Vancsa <ildiko at openinfra.dev>
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2023 6:14:07 AM
To: StarlingX ML <starlingx-discuss at lists.starlingx.io>
Subject: Re: [Starlingx-discuss] Community Communication Channels - VOTE NEEDED

Hi,

Thank you all for the feedback so far!

I haven’t received any objections against the option to start using Matrix as a chat tool for the StarlingX community. People had questions on the Community Call about the tool today, so I collected some useful information to help exploring it:

- As a reminder, you can find out more about the tool here: https://matrix.org
- There are different options to use as a browser or desktop client. Many of them are also available on smartphones.
  + I’m using Element - https://element.io
  + Some other options include
    ~ Weechat - https://github.com/poljar/weechat-matrix
    ~ SchildiChat - https://schildi.chat/
    ~ FluffyChat - https://fluffychat.im/

- The #starlingX IRC channel is also available through Matrix - https://matrix.to/#/!XDOJNehPiaWKvYGWVD:matrix.org?via=matrix.org
  ~ You will need to create an account first
  ~ There is documentation available in the Zuul community’s docs about how to register - https://zuul-ci.org/docs/zuul/latest/howtos/matrix.html#create-an-account

During the Community Call, it also came up that it would be great to agree on how we would like to utilize a chat tool. For instance, to aovid having too many channels, etc. The current proposal to the Matrix setup is the following:

- Have multiple chat rooms available for community communication:
  + starlingx-general room - topics that are relevant to the whole community
  + StarlingX project team channels
    ~ topics that are relevant to a project team
    ~ ie: starlingx-build, starlingx-containers, etc
  + Optional channel ideas - specific topic areas that are outside of the existing project teams
    ~ starlingx-newcomers
    ~ starlingx-troubleshooting

__ If you are in support to use Matrix as the chat tool for StarlingX moving forward, please reply to this email with ‘+1’.__

Please let me know if you have any questions, or if you need help with setting up Matrix.

Best Regards,
Ildikó

———

Ildikó Váncsa