[Starlingx-discuss] Community Communication Channels - VOTE NEEDED

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Jul 13 12:39:00 UTC 2023

On 2023-07-13 12:05:52 +0000 (+0000), Douglas Lopes Pereira wrote:
> +1 as long as we have a date to stop using IRC. Otherwise we will
> have to keep watching both messaging platforms.
[...]

As Ildiko mentioned, Matrix is bridged to a number of IRC networks,
including OFTC where the current StarlingX channels reside. If they
want, Matrix users can (for all intents and purposes) treat those as
"just more Matrix channels." Matrix users get pretty much all the
standard Matrix features when interacting on IRC channels through a
bridge, while users who are in those channels via traditional IRC
protocol can still interact with everyone there (albeit with a
degraded feature set compared to using Matrix).

I wouldn't recommend maintaining an official presence in the IRC
channels after you complete a transition to Matrix, but it's still
pretty easy for a handful of people to keep an eye on the old IRC
channels through Matrix and try to help reroute newcomers who aren't
aware you've moved. That's what the Zuul community did when it
switched to Matrix a few years ago.
--
Jeremy Stanley