[Starlingx-discuss] Contributor recognition and appreciation

Ildiko Vancsa ildiko at openstack.org
Wed Jul 19 05:19:04 UTC 2023

Hi StarlingX Community,

I would like to share an idea that came up during the StarlingX Marketing team call today.

The team was talking about thoughts for the ongoing celebration of the project’s 5th year anniversary, and the idea of contributor recognition and appreciation came up. As the community has changed significantly since its inception, we thought to rather implement this per release and do it at the end of each cycle.

The goal is to recognize the contributors at each release cycle who go above and beyond for the project and community. While everybody’s work and contributions are invaluable, not all of those are equally visible, which this idea is targeted to address.

We didn’t discuss the process in deep details, but a few things that came up included:

* Have a nomination process towards the end of the release cycles, where contributors can nominate people
* We can hold a ceremony during a Community Call when a new release comes out
* We can write a blog post to highlight contributors and their work
  - OpenStack Contributor Award blog post as an example: https://superuser.openinfra.dev/articles/openstack-community-contributor-awards-recognize-unsung-heroes-sydney/

What do you all think?

Best Regards,
Ildikó