[Starlingx-discuss] Using short form SPDX style license headers

Saul Wold sgw at linux.intel.com
Mon Aug 6 17:38:12 UTC 2018

Has the project got any firm direction on using the full license text vs
the SPDX "short identifiers" [0] for license headers?

I am not proposing we change things wholesale, I am just looking to
establish a direction moving forward.  Any new files written would
include the short identifier [1]. Any modified files could switch to
SPDX identifiers when edited.  At some point we could do a mass
replacement, but not recommending that now.

Many OpenSource projects are starting to use the one-line SPDX license
identifier, including the Linux kernel project [2].

Example instead of including about 15 lines of Apache 2.0 License, the
single line would be used:

SPDX-License-Identifier: Apache-2.0

Thoughts, flames?

Sau!