[Starlingx-discuss] Qemu 3.0.0 is ready for your consideration

Jim Somerville jim.somerville at windriver.com
Tue Dec 4 21:13:15 UTC 2018

Hi Dean,

Like with libvirt, I de-squashed all of the patches (around 100 of them)
and they are on the end.  Note that they consist of 3 parts, namely any
fixes I had to further bring in from upstream (1 in this case), followed
by the CentOS patches against qemu that we normally bring forward,
followed by STX specific patches.

The CentOS patches against qemu are good candidates to scrutinize for
potentially dropping in the future as part of a non-rebasing exercise.
My approach was to limit chaos in this upstream rebasing exercise by not
dropping any patches unless made obsolete by the rebasing itself.  It's
hard enough to debug this complex stuff without adding more
uncertainties to it.

Extensive testing was done using first our regular sanity test suite,
followed by our much larger nova regression test suite.  Unexpected
failures were found and fixed.

The update to 3.0.0 consists of two parts, a pull request for the
stx-qemu repo, and the piece in stx-integ which deals with the
compilation.  Like last time with libvirt, we have to commit these two
parts at the same time.

The new qemu is here, and I will push a new branch and issue a pull
request to it once I'm done dealing with feedback.
https://github.com/jsomervi/stx-qemu/commits/working-3.0.0-noavp-12

The stx-integ part for review is here:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/622583/

I also cc'ed anybody who I think is a directly interested party rather
than just relying on the discussion list.

-Jim