[Starlingx-discuss] Centos Distro Direction

Victor Rodriguez vm.rod25 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 19:07:52 UTC 2018

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 11:48 AM Cordoba Malibran, Erich
<erich.cordoba.malibran at intel.com> wrote:

> BTW, I created this story to update the installer from CentOS 7.4 to
> CentOS 7.6, in case anyone wants to participate.
>
> https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2004516

Thanks for making this  Erich , this is a topic that we check on last
week meeting and I had the AR to send the mail about the need of 7.6
installers instead of 7.4 . I am happy to see you share my point :)
and take the initiative to create the story ( good team work )

Now to clarify the other point of why Erich create the sotory with
this justification :

The installer is using CentOS 7.4 files, the upgrade into 7.6 is needed.

if we read the document of
https://git.starlingx.io/cgit/stx-metal/tree/installer/initrd/README
we can see

There are three prebuilt files that we can update when we need to make changes
to the installer:
- vmlinuz - The kernel
- initrd.img - Initial initrd loaded when the installer boots. Has kernel
  modules, etc, and loads the squashfs.img
- squashfs.img - Provides the rootfs for the installer, which includes
  components like anaconda

When we update the kernel and kernel modules for the installer, we
need to update the initrd.img. This is a manual procedure currently
and must be done. The initrd is an initial root file system that is
mounted prior to when the real root file system is available. The
initrd is bound to the kernel and loaded as part of the kernel boot
procedure. The kernel then mounts this initrd as part of the two-stage
boot process to load the modules to make the real file systems
available and get at the real root file system. If we don't do this
the symbols will not link correctly [0]

The initrd contains a minimal set of directories and executables to
achieve this, such as the insmodtool to install kernel modules into
the kernel. My concern las t build meeting was that by using
initrd.img wih modules linked to kernel of centos 7.5 and latter on
boot installer try to load kernel of centos 7.6 it might gave us some
problems hard to debug, it might be clean to use centos 7.6 with its
own installer

[0] https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-initrd/index.html

Regards

Victor Rodriguez