[Starlingx-discuss] changing PLATFORM_RELEASE

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 21:03:32 UTC 2018

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 2:31 PM Scott Little <scott.little at windriver.com> wrote:
> Until we are at least RC quality, we shouldn't set PLATFORM_RELEASE to
> the final date.
>
> Also keep in mind that this value should never go backwards.  So I want
> to leave some wiggle room, just in case (however unlikely) we move the
> release date forward (perhaps 19.03).

This is essentially the same problem Scott and I have been talking
about re naming the milestones.

The downside to using date-based release names is when the value of
$NEXT_RELEASE is unknown it is hard to use it in places like milestone
names.

Would it be too confusing to just use values as of the date we need
the value, ie milestone 1 is based on 2018.01 no matter when the
release actually occurs?  Would this be too confusing to
users/deployers/developers?

So we would have this:
milestone 1 in Jan 2019:
tag=2019.01.b1
PLATFORM_RELEASE=19.01 or 19.01.b1 or similar

milestone 2 in Mar 2019:
tag=2019.01.b2 or 2019.03.b1
PLATFORM_RELEASE=19.01 or 19.01.b2 or similar

dt

--

Dean Troyer
dtroyer at gmail.com