[Starlingx-discuss] Restructuring round 2

Saul Wold sgw at linux.intel.com
Tue Jul 17 16:38:08 UTC 2018

Scott,

Thanks for getting started on this.  As you may know I worked on the
Yocto Project and worked on the initial split that you mention came from
WRLinux.

I think you have done a good job with the reorganization.  As I am just
coming up to speed I might have a couple of dumb questions to as ask I
don't know of all the content changes yet (Patches, config changes, ...).

A simple high level question, would it make sense to segregate out
everything that is CentOS into base?  That way as we move to more of an
OS independent setup, the core directory could possibly go away?

Can you add some definition as the what belongs in some of the other
directories (config vs config-files, tools vs utilities)?

See more direct questions inline in the lists below.

Do you have a full "after" list, that might help then just seeing what's
being relocated.

Thanks
Sau!

On 07/17/2018 08:07 AM, Scott Little wrote:
> Story: https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2002801
>
> *Goals:*
>
> 1) Consolidate the following repo’s under stx-integ.
> • stx-gplv2
> • stx-gplv3
> • stx-utils
>
> 2) Restructure the directories under which packages are to be found.
>
> Currently stx-gplv2/3 are largely without structure. Parts of the
> stx-integ structure were inherited from WRLinux and make little sense.
> stx-utils is just i mess of stuff that never found a home when StarlingX
> was first set up.
>
> Directories should descriptive of the class of packages to be found within.
>
> Intent is to preserve update history as best is is possible.
>

> *Timeline: *
>
> Probably around July 23 unless there are strong objections.  We should
> probably have a freeze on submissions to the affected repos until it is
> all completed.
>

> *Code Reviews: *
>
> Most of this is just moving code around.  A few path corrections, but no
> new code.  The number and size of the reviews will be huge, and the code
> should all have been inspected once before.  Is there a way to fast
> track this?  Would there be strong objections to me just doing a +2/+1
> without waiting for independent review?
>

> *Details of directories/groups ...*
>

> Create new directories under stx-integ (logical groupings for files):
>     ceph
>     config
>     config-files
>     database
>     filesystem
>     filesystem/drbd
>     grub
>     kernel
>     kernel/kernel-modules
>     ldap
>     logging
>     strorage-drivers
>     tools
>     utilities
>     virt
>
> Retained directories under stx-integ (additional logical groupings for
> files):
>     base
>     mellanox
>     monitoring
>     networking
>     python
>     restapi-doc
>     security
>
> Retire directories under stx-integ (non-descriptive or ambiguous
> grouping we will retire):
>     connectivity
>     core
>     devtools
>     extended
>     support
>

> *Details of packages ...*
>
> Relocated packages (internal to stx-integ):
> [...]
Why e2fsprogs in config vs base?

>        facter
>        nfs-utils
Same here base?
>        nfscheck
>        puppet-4.8.2
>        puppet-modules
>
>     kernel/
>        kernel-std
>        kernel-rt
>
>     kernel/kernel-modules/
>        mlnx-ofa_kernel
>
>     ldap/
>        nss-pam-ldapd
>        openldap
>
>     logging/
>        syslog-ng
>        logrotate
With just 2 items maybe base as they are part of CentOS?

>     networking/
>        lldpd
>        iproute
I could see this one both ways it's one item that could be part of base.