[Starlingx-discuss] Proposed Bug Story Template

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Mon Jul 30 15:49:57 UTC 2018

On 07/27/2018 10:07 AM, Dean Troyer wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 10:54 AM, Jones, Bruce E <bruce.e.jones at intel.com
> <mailto:bruce.e.jones at intel.com>> wrote:
>
>     In the short term, if there are logs that should be captured, please list
>     them in the template and let’s figure out how to post them somewhere – we
>     can’t post files to Stories or Tasks Lbut we can post links to them.
>

> This is usually a pastebin, we have paste.openstack.org
> <http://paste.openstack.org> available...

Customers often don't know what logs are important and don't necessarily have
the expertise to extract key snippets.  Accordingly, our "collect" script
basically grabs much of /etc/ and /var/log from each specified node, as well as
database dumps on the controller node (and other information as well).  This can
easily add up to hundreds of MB of compressed tarball.  We currently stick these
on a shared internal filesystem and mention the location in the internal bug
tracker.

I wonder if the "collect" tool should have the option to upload logs to a
"support" server and return an identifier to the customer to include in their
bug report.  If you just allow anyone to dump large files on a server somewhere
it risks being turned into a filesharing site.

The Cinder and Manila folks have also highlighted the lack of support for
attachments as a serious problem:
https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2003071

Chris