[Starlingx-discuss] Trying a "mirrorless" build

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Mon Jul 30 17:50:30 UTC 2018

On 07/30/2018 11:18 AM, Jones, Bruce E wrote:
> Scott, you raised a very interesting point.
>
> I think that the tension between A and B is more about wanting to do both at the same time.  We want to provide high levels of performance and stability, pushing us toward A.  But the pain of maintaining the patches necessary and managing older package versions pushes us toward B.
>
> I think we need to find the balancing point between the two - where performance is high and the pain as low.

I think Scott's point about A is not so much about keeping the same set of
packages forever, but rather that if I build a given release today and then
build that same release a month (or a year) from now it should result in the
same package versions in the ISO.

Theoretically I think you could have both behaviours as long as:

1) Each build using the latest upstream package versions gets an auto-generated
identifier and all package versions used in that build get dumped into a mirror
somewhere.
2) If you build with an explicit identifier you would use the package versions
that were originally used for the identified build.

This would let you run with the latest and greatest during a development cycle,
and then lock down the versions on a release branch.

Chris