[Starlingx-discuss] Upstream Tracking Process

Jones, Bruce E bruce.e.jones at intel.com
Wed Jun 6 21:20:38 UTC 2018

This is the start of a discussion for how we manage and track the process of pushing the StarlingX carried patches to their respective upstream communities.

At a high level, we want to make it easy for:
* Contributors to have a clear picture of the upstream status of each carried patch
* Contributors and broader community members to be able to see our progress over time
* Plus we want to be able to track progress and the level of effort needed ourselves

The process should follow standard Open Stack conventions unless there is a very good reason not to.  It should be documented.

At a start, I'll make the Simple Stupid and Obvious proposal:
* Store a list of each carried patch in stx-docs or etherpad, with patches listed per upstream repo and grouped into buckets where needed
* Each item on the list contains a description of the patch(es), status (e.g. "accepted in Rocky") and (for Open Stack patches) a link to a Storyboard.  Patches outside the Open Stack community should have a link to the upstream's bugzilla/etc...
* The Storyboard entry (or equivalent) contains the details of the work, with links to tasks, specs and etc...

Thoughts / feedback?

         brucej