[Starlingx-discuss] [build] size of official mirror

Scott Little scott.little at windriver.com
Mon Nov 5 15:37:26 UTC 2018

That was the intent, as presented to me.

1) What you see currently It's not a StarlingX mirror, it's a
CentOS/EPEL mirror for use by StarlingX.  The StarlingX specific parts
will be added when CENGN can host it's own builds.

2) Allows use of standard reposync tool

3) A new package can be added to StarlingX at any time.  It was likely
in test weeks before being accepted using version X.  If version Y is
released roughly concurrent with the review of the update that
introduces the requirement for X, we might see breakage.  This way X is
already available.

4) (speculative) If we ever wanted to consider feature backports
(non-security) to release branches, and the feature adds new packages,
we may want to use versions that are compatible with that release.
i.e. if the target release for the backport was based on Centos 7.5, but
master is on 7.8.  If the backport requires package Y, but Y has a lot
of 'Requires'. Do we want the 7.8 version of Y, or the 7.5 version of Y
which is sufficient? The 7.8 version would force us to update a lot of
other packages, some of which might be patched.  The scope of work, and
the risk, for the backport could increase significantly.  Having 7.5
already cached in our mirror means it's ready for use.  It might no
longer be available from upstream.  (e.g. EPEL).