[Starlingx-discuss] Support IBRS cpu model.

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Fri Nov 16 15:49:58 UTC 2018

There's a problem with this patch.  The way the VCpuModelFilter is
designed, the basic idea is that a host with a CPU model "later" in the
list can support guests with all CPU models "earlier" in the list.

According to [1] the "spec-ctrl" and "ssbd" CPU features require host
CPU microcode (i.e. that the host is detected as the "-IBRS" model)
before it can be used for guest CPUs.  This means that a
"Skylake-Server" host cannot support a "Broadwell-IBRS" guest, which
violates the design of the VCpuModelFilter.

I think as part of adding the -IBRS models we'll have to also modify the
filter itself.

Chris

[1]
https://www.berrange.com/posts/2018/06/29/cpu-model-configuration-for-qemu-kvm-on-x86-hosts/