[Starlingx-discuss] Work on reducing non-openstack patches that related to config/service/init files.

Liu, ZhipengS zhipengs.liu at intel.com
Mon Oct 15 09:26:38 UTC 2018

Hi all,

Recently I have analyzed all init patches of non-openstack patches that you can filter by "init" in "Analysis" column of below sheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nKnkweuxcqvVOoRcpnTYMVUUv1RoAugOWXMjB7VIrfc/edit#gid=1953568313
I have added my comments in column of "Comments from zhipeng"

1) The comments colored with blue means we can add service to /etc/systemd/system/ so that it can be started during power on.
2) The comments colored with orange means we can ADD config files or scripts to specific system folder.
3) The comments colored with green means we need to use our customized config files or scripts instead of default ones.

For both case 1 and 2 mentioned above, we just need to consider initial installation scenario. (22 patches)
I worked out a method to remove related patches like below steps.
a) Use platform-util RPM to copy all related config/service files to /tmp folder.
     Add config/service files to platform-util/centos/files/
     Modify platform-util.spec to copy all related config/service files to /tmp folder.
b) Add a post-installation script to kickstart config file. (This script will be called by anaconda after software installation finished.)
     This post-installation script will copy config/service files to specific system folder.
c) Then we can remove related patches.

For case 3, we need to consider both initial installation and SW update scenarios. (44 patches)
a) Initial installation
      We can do the same as we do for case 1 and 2
b) SW update
     Add a post-update script that will be called by sw-patch-agent after sw update finished.
     Use post-update script to copy customized config files or scripts to specific system folders, overwrite default ones.

So far, I have started working on case 1 and 2, finished nfs-utils (Story: 2003768/Task: 26461) and verified deployment. You can review my patch below.
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/610456/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/610459/

Any concern?  Welcome to add your comment and proposal!

Thanks!
Zhipeng