[Starlingx-discuss] [Build] unified build command suggestions

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 17:53:32 UTC 2018

On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 12:16 PM, Saul Wold <sgw at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> I agree with this, similar to what git and some other tools do also, I like
> the examples you provided below.

Sooooo..... git should mostly not be used as an example UI for most
purposes, it is a bit of a mess :)

  git remote add ...   (ok, but...)
  git branch -m ...     (not branch move?  branch is sometimes an
object and sometimes a verb depending on the options!!)

> I think it would be better if was more like
>
> stxb build iso
> stxb build all
>
> I know this is different than the mirror actions above, but the "all" does
> not make sense to me in this usage.

This is the what-comes-first question, the object or the action?  VMS
is still leaking from my brain in that I also prefer the action (verb)
to be first.  OSC reversed itself 5 years ago because of the
bash-completion issue, we use cliff to implement the command parser
(built on top of argparse) and doing verb-first and bash completion
turned out to be a mess.  That is an implementation driving design,
which is not always great, but was acceptable to the team at the time.

Which ever order is settled on, PLEASE make all commands the same.
The UX studies we did with OSC always showed this consistency to be
very important to both new and experienced users.

dt

--

Dean Troyer
dtroyer at gmail.com