[Starlingx-discuss] Installation_Guide_Virtual_Environment / Ubuntu Specific

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 20:09:25 UTC 2018

On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 7:15 AM,  <scottk at optimcloud.com> wrote:
> so hunted the wiki a bit and found this guide
>
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/StarlingX/Installation_Guide_Virtual_Environment

I just finished (belatedly) updating the wiki to reflect the recent
changes to the libvirt scripts with what was already in the README.
This still needs to be better integrated into the Installation Guide.

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Installation_libvirt_qemu

> Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit
> ... Now <RANT> I have to ask Why.... Seriously? </RANT>

The short answer is that Ubuntu is what is on the boxes we initially
had available to use.  As you found, there is nothing inherently
exclusive to Ubuntu in here, and with a little work this will get more
OS-agnostic.

> and ... TADA..... functionally working on Fedora 28 and actually installing
> at this moment..... so... seriously i have to ask....
>
> when do you want to offer me a job..... because this shouldnt be
> happening..... anyway..... I find it awesome that you used CentOS for the
> platform, great choice...
> but why would you force uus to use Ubuntu as the host... personally from an

We don't force you, that is simply what those scripts were written for
and what was documented thus far.  I'm sure had you written this it
would be CentOS/Fedora oriented...

Also, your job offer is in the next sentence.  :)  Since you are
clearly capable of adjusting this to fit your environment I would
invite you to help the next person to come along that doesn't use
Ubuntu and submit those changes to the stx-tools repo and help make
this particular corner of the world a better place.

> This is just my observations.... from a senior level management perspective
> of what Ive seen in the industry... if yyou want to be accepted, I belive
> you will maybe need more polishh... but so fgar great work, in sight of a
> few things maybe over looked.

We are painfully aware that this has a long way to go before it is
anything close to a download, build and install kind of system.
StarlingX is one enormous complex beast that does a complex job.

Thanks for taking the time to fight through this build process and for
this feedback, it is valuable to see this process from the eyes of
someone who isn't already familiar with it.

dt

--

Dean Troyer
dtroyer at gmail.com