[Starlingx-discuss] Python Based VBox Installer

Cordoba Malibran, Erich erich.cordoba.malibran at intel.com
Thu Feb 21 18:19:04 UTC 2019

On Thu, 2019-02-21 at 09:15 -0500, Curtis wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 8:46 AM Eslimi, Dariush <Dariush.Eslimi at windr
> iver.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I see Spec as a high level design for a code that going to be
> > developed, and to make sure it aligns with how community is going
> > to use it and to make everybody aware of what is going to do, so
> > others can chime in and say things that can address multiple needs
> > and influence its design. Let's call this apple.
> >
> > Now I see the case of a code that has been developed before even
> > the community existed, and now been presented to the community to
> > fill a gap and improve productivity, no time to change the design
> > and would be up to community to accept or reject it as is. A case
> > of donation really, I call this one Orange.
> >
> > For Orange I think Spec is not the right word, we need a
> > wiki/readme to see what it does, and how to use it. It is too late
> > to produce a spec to influence the design.
> >

> OpenStack Operators have a tools landing repository [1] that
> didn't/doesn't have the same level of requirements the rest of the
> OpenStack code typically does, so organizations could open source
> internal. potentially untested, scripts but not have to necessarily
> adhere to all of the usual requirements. Over time the code in that
> repository could be improved and moved out once it made sense.
>
> I think it's worthwhile to have useful internal code open sourced,
> and in some cases make it a bit easier to do so, and if the code/tool
> gets used then start improving it following general standards. This
> would require a new repository.
>
> Just a thought. :)

I really like the idea of having a new repository as a landing zone
where things can be stabilize over time. When I started reviewing this
tool I noticed that my comments were more focused on design (features
that we might not need, restructure of cli arguments and so on) and I
understand that fixing this is outside of the scope of sharing an
internal tool.

So, should be go in the path of creating a new repository? or can we
use an "experimental" folder within stx-tools?

What do you think about this?