[Starlingx-discuss] Python Based VBox Installer

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Feb 25 16:59:44 UTC 2019

On 2019-02-25 16:51:21 +0000 (+0000), Cordoba Malibran, Erich wrote:
[...]
> > > With that said, the review had been given two -2 votes from cores.
> > > As I understand it, this is not a minor thing. From the openstack
> > > guidelines, a -2 “is to indicate to the submitter that any further
> > > time they spend on the change will almost certainly be wasted.”
> > > Having two -2 votes on the update is very significant, thus the
> > > decision to abandon the review. The openstack guidelines describing
> > > -1 and -2 votes seems pretty clear here:
> > > https://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/review-the-openstack-
> > > way.html#code-review-minus-2
> > >

> > Sounds like we need to come to a consensus as to when a -2 is
> > appropriate. I personally don't think a -2 is appropriate for a first
> > contribution, regardless of circumstances. Obviously we can't commit
> > .pyc files and need licensing, but I definitely would prefer not to
> > see -2s in this situation.
> >
> > I think this code is important and we need to get this back on track.
> > This is a good "teachable moment" maybe for all sides? :)
> >

> I agree, we need to get it back. I gave my -2 in the understanding that
> every new functionality to the project needs a spec and an approval
> process first. Now that this has been discussed and it's clear we can
> have this kind of contributions, then I can remove the -2 (the review
> needs to be restored first) and continue with the review.

Sounds like the use of -2 in that case was more akin to:

https://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/review-the-openstack-way.html#procedural-code-review-2

Basically, "put this contribution on hold, it can't merge until we
have some other discussions." The distinction is easy to miss
though, which is why explaining exactly why you voted -2 on a change
is critical, as well as stating what you think the next steps are.
--
Jeremy Stanley