[Starlingx-discuss] discuss about initial value of TIS_PATCH_VER when upgrade packages

Saul Wold sgw at linux.intel.com
Fri Jan 4 21:52:37 UTC 2019

On 1/4/19 7:12 AM, Penney, Don wrote:
>  From a patching perspective, which is why TIS_PATCH_VER was introduced originally, it can be reset to 0 when the source package is upversioned. But I see Scott's point from his review comment about indicating a revision from source, and Chris's below.
>
> Setting it to 1 to show modification from original source seems reasonable to me. Given that it will get incremented and veer from the patch count, I don't see a lot of benefit to needing to count the patches to determine an initial version. But if we're going that route, I'd vote for b - count the number of patch files total.

I am not sure I agree with any of this, first off, just the fact that we
have an SRPM and the TIS_PACTH_VER indicates that it's been patched, I
really don't see the value in having the patch count indicated as a
"Version" item.

It makes more sense to start from 0 (option a) and that way we can track
each subsequent change to that package with an increment.

This issue did not come up at all in past updates, I am not sure why
it's becoming an issue now.

See below for additional comments

As mentioned above, just having that additional tis.<TIS_PATCH_VER> in
the file name indicates that it's been modified.

> Of the options below, I think option "c" is probably the best since for
> an upgrade we might create a single meta-patch to add all the source
> patches.

And what happens when a modification is needed to the Specfile or patch
with out increasing the actual number of patches, now the value of
TIS_PATCH_VER increments and no longer matches the patch count.
Therefore, a version should be incremental from 0.

Sau!