[Starlingx-discuss] discuss about initial value of TIS_PATCH_VER when upgrade packages

Saul Wold sgw at linux.intel.com
Mon Jan 7 23:48:04 UTC 2019

On 1/7/19 7:28 AM, Scott Little wrote:
> I disagree.   Our experience in the past, is that putting a tis.0 on a
> package raises questions from both customers and designers.  Why are you
> compiling this at all if you aren't changing it?I would have thought that the tis.<x> extension would be enough to
indicate this package had patches.

I also think we should really be switching to stx.0, but that's a
different discussion I would guess.

> A little digging, and some wasted cycles, and the answer is.  "Oh, we
> are changing it. we still have 3 patches against it. sorry for the
> confusion."
>
> Now as you point out.  We might remove a patch in a non-rebase context.
> In this case we are compelled to increment, rather than decrement,
> TIS_PACTH_VER.  In this case we have to live with the misleadingly high
> number until the next rebase.  That's ok.  No one has complained about
> that.

I guess I am about the consistency of the meaning of tis.<x> when it
increments, such that starting at 0 and later incrementing means change
occurs vs starting at N want meaning a patch count and later
incrementing and not really having a meaning any more, my OCD kind of
kicks in.

> I should have been flagging this in earlier code reviews.  I wasn't.  My
> error.  Had bigger fish to fry in the early months of going open source.

As I said, I had never heard this until now, I understand your busy, but
we did the whole 7.5 update without hearing about.

> If the community wants to overrule, that's fine.  I'm just trying to
> share my hard won experience as 'the rebase guy' for 4 years prior to
> open sourcing.

Do we need a proper Specification for the meaning of the package
information, this is where we can change the tis/TIS to stx/STX!

Sau!