[Starlingx-discuss] discuss about initial value of TIS_PATCH_VER when upgrade packages

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Tue Jan 8 22:29:27 UTC 2019

I agree that we'd eventually want to switch to "stx" instead of "tis".

The way that we did it previously was to consistently have the meaning
of the ".x" be "the number of changes made to the upstream package".  So
the first time you make a change it'd be ".1", then you make another
change and it'd be ".2", and then if you upgrade to a newer base package
but keep both changes it'd have a new upstream base version but still be
".2" for the version suffix.

For what it's worth, CentOS and Debian do things a bit differently.
When they move to a new upstream version of the package they switch back
to "-1" regardless of the number of patches .  So you'd have something
like 0.14.0-1, then 0.14.0-2, then 0.15.2-1.  OpenSUSE has a more
complicated suffix like "-5.3.1", I'm not sure what their rules for
updating it are.

Given the above, I could see a rationale for reducing confusion by
aligning with CentOS and switching back to ".1" when bumping  upstream
versions.  But I still think there is value in the previous mechanism as
it gives a general idea of how much a given package differs from upstream.

Chris

On 1/7/2019 5:48 PM, Saul Wold wrote:

> I also think we should really be switching to stx.0, but that's a
> different discussion I would guess.

<snip>