[Starlingx-discuss] Starlingx network requirement

Peters, Matt Matt.Peters at windriver.com
Mon Jan 14 17:19:34 UTC 2019

See inline.

From: Quick Convey <quickconvey at gmail.com>
Date: Monday, January 14, 2019 at 3:56 AM
To: "starlingx-discuss at lists.starlingx.io" <starlingx-discuss at lists.starlingx.io>
Subject: [Starlingx-discuss] Starlingx network requirement

Dear All,

I am planing to setup Starlingx in bare-metal (controller-storage deployment)
https://docs.starlingx.io/installation_guide/controller_storage.html#controller-storage

I have couple of questions

Q1) What is the network requirements for this setup. All nodes should be in same network, that is the only requirement, right ?
The Management network is on all hosts and also serves as the PXEBoot network for booting other hosts from the Controller hosts.
The OAM network is required for controller hosts only.
The Data network is required for compute hosts only.

Q2) In "Hardware Requirements" section, I seen "Data: n x 10GE Compute", what that means, is it number of physical interfaces needed for data ? what that "n" indicate ? is it number of compute nodes ?
The ‘n’ indicates you can have more than 1 port if required for your application deployment.  The data networks are not used by the platform, so it is up to the application requirements to decide the required number of ports and network topology.

Q3) What is the number of physical interfaces needed in controller and compute bare-metal nodes ?. From the document I understand that only 2 physical interfaces are enough, right ?
Controller: 1 Mgmt, 1 OAM
Compute: 1 Mgmt, N Data (where N>=1)

Q4) Is there any picture which shows Management, OAM and Data interface connections between controller and compute nodes ?
I don’t think there is a StarlingX document that shows the interconnection.

Thanks,