[Starlingx-discuss] Starlingx network requirement

Peters, Matt Matt.Peters at windriver.com
Thu Jan 17 14:35:12 UTC 2019

The data network provides the physical infrastructure for the OpenStack guest tenant networks, which is used for both inter-compute and external network access from Virtual Machines (VMs).  The underlay configuration (VxLAN attributes, VLAN ranges, etc) is managed by the cloud administrator and is made available to the OpenStack tenants (applications).  The application requirements drive the topology of this network since the cloud operator must be able to support whatever application is being deployed within the VMs.

The virtual switch, OVS in the case of StarlingX, implements the OpenStack tenant networks and acts as the bridge between the physical infrastructure and the virtual networks.

For additional background information on OpenStack networking, please refer to the following:
https://docs.openstack.org/neutron/rocky/admin/intro.html

Hope that helps.

Regards Matt