[Starlingx-discuss] [build] go packages, version 2

Victor Rodriguez vm.rod25 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 18:57:31 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 9:14 AM McKenna, Jason
<Jason.McKenna at windriver.com> wrote:

> Hi Victor, great feedback.  Inline.

Ok , i think is a good oportunity for the work that Marcela is doing

> >  This allows us to hit all our bullet points – code is snapshotted, reproducible,
> > we don’t end up having to create a bunch of new rpms with dependency
> > source code and potential version conflicts, and it requires no internet access
> > (other than at download-mirrors.sh time)
> >
> > If it works for you is fine , my concern will be to mantain changes of broken
> > links in the future ( that sure go dep will fix )
> >
> > +1 from my part as long as it does not geneerate a lot of mantainance
> > does not create a problem for ourselvs
> >
> > How hard to aloud internet during build ?
>
> Allowing Internet during build is easy if you have Internet access (edit the .cfg for your mock environment), but obviously troublesome if you're behind a firewall which blocks access.  While this doesn't affect me personally, I am under the impression that you folks have several sites which are configured this way (I could be wrong, but I seem to recall early in the project a few packages breaking because reworked packages assumed Internet).  Even if I'm mistaken about that point, I do know of several organizations which require clean-room builds for security and reproducibility reasons.  Better to not limit potential adopters if we can help it :)

Ok, I see your point, well even if is behind a firewall it should have
some proxy solution but yes, let's assume that we have a user that
does not have internet.  My only concern will be that I am not a fan
of having many tarballs/patches or change that we have to maintain
/host. If we are going to host them, Do we make a copy of them in the
official CENGN repo? and point our scripts over there to be 100% sure
that the download will work all the time?

regards