[Starlingx-discuss] [RFC] Split of meta-data from flock services repos

Victor Rodriguez vm.rod25 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 20:39:04 UTC 2019

Hi team

Today on the multi-OS meeting we were talking about the first point of
the MultiOS spec file:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/619801/

- Reorganize the STX Flock source:

Which means, making a split directory structure that separates the
flock source code from the packaging meta-data. A new stx-flock repo
will contain the packaging meta-data that the build system will
consume, just as it does with the stx-integ and stx-upstream repos.
With a separated directory for each OS that we want to support. i.e:

https://gist.github.com/VictorRodriguez/662a976736e4c1e91759e76d6619a7ab

The reason to propose that is to follow the good practice of many
upstream projects( i.e. python, perl, gcc, etc), they isolate the
source code from the operating system management by having the
software project repo with just source code, making easy for other
distribution to just download their release tarball and use it in
their build scripts.

The counterpart of this idea is to keep the flock services with the
metadata as they are and add a subdirectory for centos and other OS
that we will support, this with the aim of providing better developer
experience by having everything on the same repository ( both metadata
and flock source code). I took the liberty to make a script to
clone[0] all the stx-flock services and review what is the % of diff
referred to spec files in the centos directory

[0] https://gist.github.com/VictorRodriguez/52b15ff870e2bd402337d5e279651dbc

Giving me this result

stx-config = 3.800 %
stx-distcloud = 0 %
stx-distcloud-client = 0 %
stx-fault = 10.200 %
stx-gui = 1.800 %
stx-ha = 3.300 %
stx-nfv = 2.300 %
stx-update = 22.000 %
stx-metal = 6.100 %

As I can see only one stx-update might be the only one with more than
20% of diffs related to metadata, which means that most of the changes
are for pure flock sw code

Now, this is a change that requires inputs from the core members and
contributors to the stx-flock services, we will really appreciate the
vote and feedback of them

Feedback more than welcome

Regards

Victor Rodriguez