[Starlingx-discuss] First Contact SIG kick off meeting - notes

Jones, Bruce E bruce.e.jones at intel.com
Thu Jun 6 14:08:53 UTC 2019

We had our first meeting today.  The notes from our discussion are below.  Thanks to the people who joined!

We will meet again on June 20th at 6:30AM PDT (1330 UTC)

Agenda (on https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/stx-first-contact)
*         Matthew from the OpenStack FC SIG joined!

  *   A place for people to get started

  *   Help new contributors get connected to projects and project teams

  *   Worked wtih the Foundation to set up a new Contributor portal
?  www.openstack.org/community<http://www.openstack.org/community>
?  docs.openstack.org/contributors

  *   Noticed that patches from new contributors didn't always get attention

  *   Gerrit bot tells people when their first patch goes in

  *   Monitor IRC and mailing list

  *   ask.openstack.org portal, looking for new contributors

  *   Wiki page should show timezones so people can connect to people near them

  *   Seeing barriers for Chinese contributors even though we see lots of activity there
?  Some simple things like knowing which ports to open (IRC, gerrit, etc..) can be helpful

  *   Looking to do outreach at the Shanghai summit

  *   Seeing some companies "bombard" projects with lots of tiny fixes - looking to reach out to them

  *   One of the hardest parts is getting new contributors to submit a 2nd/3rd patch set for their first change

  *   Each project has a liaison who the FC SIG will put on reviews for new contributors

  *   What barriers do you see from the project teams themselves?
?  In the past we saw many companies assigning people to be full time contributors but we don't see that any more
?  Now we are seeing people who want to work on OpenStack but it isn't part of their job
*         They need access to bigger machines / clouds which can be hard for them (and the community)

  *   We don't do office hours but we do sessions at the Summit - but we only had a few walk-ins @ Denver

  *   Ask Liaisons to monitor IRC and help answer questions

  *   Scope of the OpenStack FC SIG is both contributors and users/operators - intended to be all inclusive
?  All can make important contributions to the project - code, docs, translations, bugs reports/fixes, feedback, etc...
*         Glenn - I was on a call yesterday with a company that is very interested in getting involved in STX.

  *   Asked them - how do they envision working in StarlingX - they are shy, they are not going to just start contributing code or filing bugs

  *   They want to try to do things themselves - where can I download the code, how do I run the software, how do I file bugs?

  *   We need to continue making the wiki and documents easier to consume for new contributors
*         Goals and mission - did not cover
*         Meeting time (this slot is available bi-weekly)

  *   We will continue this bi-weekly in this time slot
*         Next steps - did not directly cover

  *   What do new contributors need?

  *   How can we help them?

  *   What can we learn / borrow from the OpenStack First Contact SIG?  https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/First_Contact_SIG

  *   How do we manage the work of helping new contributors?

  *   What tools, documents, improvements, etc... are needed?