[Starlingx-discuss] timezone confusion on starlingx meetings wiki

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Jun 19 17:21:47 UTC 2019

On 2019-06-19 09:36:05 -0600 (-0600), Chris Friesen wrote:
> I just noticed that the StarlingX meetings wiki
> (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Starlingx/Meetings) seems to have
> mismatching and wrong information.
[...]
> nowhere actually uses PST currently as all those locations use PDT in
> the summer.  Does it make sense to have meeting times in PST right now?

If it helps, the OpenStack community long ago gave up on trying to
book meetings in any TZ other than UTC, and instead provides
calendar files in a popular standard format and expects meeting
attendees to be responsible for conversions to their own personal
local timezones.

There are plenty of parts of the World where people observe no local
"Summer Time" or "Daylight Savings Time" (including some places in
the continental USA for that matter), and even the parts which do
have something like it don't all switch at the same times of year.
To make matters worse, from one year to the next, governments like
to decide to change those dates on you so even trying to maintain a
map of them on your own is ill-advised. For that matter, the entire
Pacific coast of the USA may soon switch to "year-round DST" which
means there will essentially be no more PST timezone in the USA.

The only logical solution is to agree on a coordinated, universal
time. Fortunately there is one. Unfortunately it's not "convenient"
for a lot of people, but at least it's universally inconvenient.
--
Jeremy Stanley