[Starlingx-discuss] First contact SIG meeting minutes June 20th 2019

Jones, Bruce E bruce.e.jones at intel.com
Thu Jun 20 14:01:53 UTC 2019

Agenda for the June 20th meeting

Notes can also be found on the etherpad: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/stx-first-contact

Attendees: Bruce, Chris Winnicki, Al Bailey, Bill Zvonar
*         Need a volunteer to lead this while Bruce is out (July, August) - Bill volunteers
*         What do new contributors need?  See input from Matthew below (in the etherpad)

  *   How can we help them?
?  It's hard to help people sometimes - there are notes on the list with minimal data from people with complex configurations, but without the data needed to triage the problems.
?  Al -we should have a template of standard questions that we ask people who need help - what load are you running, what configuration are you using, what kind of network setup, storage, etc...
?  How can we figure out who the right person to help even is?  E.g. recent questions on SRIOV / passthrough
?  Do OpenStack projects use forums?  Bruce - I think the primary comms channels in openstack are IRC and email.
?  We don't have a working example of a running system that people can look at
*         Managing machines on the external network can be scary from an IT point of view
*         Packet.com infrastructure could be used for this
*         Bruce was pushing on a StarlingX in a Box project but we have backed off on this
*         We did a StarlingX hands on workshop at OpenInfra Denver and there is a Chinese workshop coming up that will also provide hands on
o    We could keep some of the packet machines allocated to hands on but this means on-going support work for a volunteer or two
?  One thing - when code is changed, we should have a documentation update submitted as well (if needed)

  *   What can we learn / borrow from the OpenStack First Contact SIG?  https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/First_Contact_SIG

  *   How do we manage the work of helping new contributors?
?  We don't have to (nor can we) do all this work ourselves.  We can also drive work items into the broader project e.g. documentation.

  *   What tools, documents, improvements, etc... are needed?